For 24/7 automated passport information or to make an appointment at a passport agency, please contact:
Hours, excluding all Federal Holidays:
Monday- Friday 08:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time
Saturday 10:00 am to 03:00 pm Eastern Time
- From the U.S. 1-877-487-2778
- From the U.S. 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD)
- For life or death emergencies (after hours) 1-202-647-4000
We encourage U.S. citizens to submit passport applications well ahead of planned travel. There has been increasingly strong demand for U.S. passports in recent years, and in fiscal year 2015, we issued over 14.3 million passport books and cards. Whether you are renewing a passport or applying for the first time, the passport application process can be completed without added stress if done ahead of time.
We are offering faster processing times for those who apply.
Pro Tips for Your U.S. Passport:
- Save $60 per application by choosing routine service (4-5 weeks processing time) instead of expedited service (2-3 weeks processing time).
- Apply during the off-peak season from September through December to help ensure timely processing of your passport.
- Our busiest months are January through August when passport demand is extremely high and when applications may take longer to process.
- Adults may conveniently renew passports by mail at any time if they meet certain criteria.
- Many countries require U.S. passports to have at least 6 months of validity and some require two blank pages for entry. Review theentry/exit requirements for your destination now.
- Look out for passport expiration dates because they can differ. Many parents forget or don’t realize that a child’s passport is valid for 5 years unlike adult passports which are valid for 10 years.
Renew by Mail:
Apply in Person:
- If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks, you may schedule an appointment at a U.S. Department of State passport agency.
- Most passport agencies require proof of travel within two weeks in order to make an appointment.
- Paying the $60 expedite fee is obligatory.
- Learn more about where to apply.